Raw Protein Bars
Makes approx. 16 bars (or 1 big bar -Depends how big you make ‘em!)
- 2 cups nuts or seeds (almonds, sunflower, pumpkin, or macadamia.
- ½ cup flax meal (flax seeds ground)
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup seed or nut butter
- 3/8 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup coconut oil (or alternative solid fat. Use cocoa butter or butter for a more warm weather-stable bar)
- 2 Tbsp liquid sweetener – honey . *If you are on the ACD (anti-candida diet), stevia is a good choice.
- * 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Place nuts or seeds, flax meal, coconut, seed or nut butter and salt in the bowl of a food processor.
2. Process until the nuts or seeds are ground into a coarse meal
3. Melt coconut oil over low heat. If the temperature of your home is around 76 degrees, you can skip this step and add the oil directly to the food processor as it will be soft enough to process easily.
4. Add coconut oil, sweeteners and vanilla to processor bowl and process until well combined to form a thick, yet crunchy paste.
5. Press the mixture into an 8×8 square pan (you can be quite flexible here. A 9×9 will work just fine. A larger pan will produce thin bars, while a smaller pan will yield thicker ones.)
6. Place in refrigerator to chill.
7. While bars are chilling, prepare Homemade Chocolate / Carob Bar, but don’t harden it.
8. Top bars with the Homemade Bar. Alternatively, use your own or my Homemade Chocolate / Carob Chips before melting, or melt and top with those.
9. Place back in refrigerator to chill (if you can wait that long !)
10. Cut into squares and serve.
11. Store in refrigerator.
Variations and Notes: Substitute up to the total amount of the flax meal with the same amount of rice protein for an extra punch of protein. You could also use some of this great grass-fed gelatin to firm up the bars and give more protein.